The City of Los Angeles is improving Adams Blvd with traffic safety and accessibility elements. These treatments are designed to reduce collisions resulting in a safer Adams Blvd for all modes of transportation.
The safety project area was selected because of the high number of crashes that have killed or severely injured people. Please see below the safety design elements and a construction implementation plan.
NEW SAFETY FEATURES ON ADAMS WILL INCLUDE:
- Lane Reconfiguration with Bike Lane from Fairfax to Crenshaw – New striping will include one lane in each direction, bike lanes, and parallel parking against the curb.
- Three New Crosswalks with Pedestrian Refuge Islands and Flashing Beacons at Marvin Ave, Palm Grove Ave, and Wellington Ave – Pedestrian islands give people a place to pause while crossing the street to navigate different directions of traffic and flashing beacons alert drivers to the presence of pedestrians in the crosswalk.
- Pavement Resurfacing and Slurry Seal – A smooth, more predictable surface will improve the travel experience for people walking, biking, and driving. Adams Blvd will be resurfaced between Fairfax and La Brea and a slurry seal will be applied from La Brea to Crenshaw.
- Left Turn Signal Upgrades at La Brea, Crenshaw, Hauser, and Redondo
- Street Lighting Upgrades
- Bonus: Street Trees from Fairfax to La Brea! Trees provide shade and improve air quality for the benefit of the whole community.
View the project fact sheet in English and Spanish.
SAFETY PROJECT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:
Work began on the new pedestrian refuge island at Marvin Ave on August 16, 2021 and is expected to take 3-4 weeks to complete.
To prepare for the slurry seal, from Monday, August 23-Wednesday, August 25, 2021 the City will grind off the existing lane striping on Adams Blvd. Once completed, the contractor will use a temporary paint to restripe the street in its current configuration. The new street configuration will be installed after the street is slurry sealed. Residents should expect temporary lane closures and parking restrictions during this period. View the Notice of Work.
Street resurfacing on Adams Blvd between Fairfax and La Brea is expected to start in early September. The slurry seal will be applied to Adams Blvd between La Brea and Crenshaw after the resurfacing is completed, around mid to late September. Please stay tuned for more information.
After the resurfacing and slurry seal is completed, the City will install the Lane Reconfiguration with Bike Lane from Fairfax to Crenshaw and complete the new crossing at Marvin Ave, estimated October 2021.
Between November 2021 and June 2022, the City will install the two pedestrian crossings at Wellington and Palm Grove. Please stay tuned for more precise information as we get closer to construction.